Terror attacks shouldn’t stop you from living freely

Story: Editorial

On a night intended to be filled with holiday celebration, many students are instead opting to remain home. The annual Silver Bells parade attracts approximately 80,000 visitors but this year, that number may drop due to the fear of a potential attack on Lansing. While this fear is a natural and understandable reaction to tragedies like those in Paris, giving into it is just as risky as ignoring it. It’s exactly what fuels groups like ISIS in their mission to terrorize the world into submission.

Every day we open our eyes and make the decision to do something. Take a walk, hang out with friends or do absolutely nothing. The one constant among all of our choices is the fact they are choices at all, without the influence of outside sources. To avoid parts of your life you would otherwise embrace because of fear, empowers those who inflict it.

Being brave and taking a stand doesn’t require any sort of activism. All it takes is living life as you would on any other day. By doing that, it tells Evil it will not win. It will not take away your holiday celebrations, your travel plans, your drive to see the world and experience all it has to offer. It’s expected for people to see things differently after a tragedy. At events in large crowds, one may wonder if something could happen. Constant “what ifs” could plague the thoughts of people each time they step outside. But as author Mandy Hale once wrote, that’s okay. “Being scared means you’re about to do something really, really brave”.

So take a stand. Go out tonight with your loved ones, buy overpriced hot cocoa and watch the Christmas tree light up. Go to concerts and festivals, eat at restaurants and see movies. Do something really, really brave.