Haslett Middle School presents “The Nifty Fifties”

The Nifty Fifties program

The Nifty Fifties program

The Nifty Fifties program

Story: Katelyn Lee, Staff Writer

The Haslett Middle School presents their spring musical, “The Nifty Fifties.” It takes place at Louise’s Luncheonette, a teenage hangout set in 1950.The ‘Nifty Fifties’ gives insight into what it would be like to be a teen in the era of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley.

Middle school math teacher Jennifer Brooks plays a part in the production of the middle school plays.

“We have our first show on Feb. 15 which is preview day,” Brooks said. “The dates open to the public are Friday, Feb. 19 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday Feb. 20 at 2:00 p.m. Tickets will be sold online and seats will be assigned.”

Eighth-grader Olivia Ziegler was cast as the leading lady in the musical. This is her first lead in a musical at the middle school.

“I play Gracie Stanley in the musical,” Ziegler said. “I promise everyone that I can get this ‘big’ rock star Ziggy Springer to come to the dance, even though I haven’t asked him yet.”

Ziegler’s character is determined not to fail, if she does her rival, snooty Muffin Mansfield, will be there ready to let everyone know.

“To get things done I have to go to his concert and convince Ziggy to come but then his secretary tells Gracie that they don’t want Ziggy doing it for no pay. So they call me and tell me that he has laryngitis even though he doesn’t.” Ziegler said. So to find out whether or not Ziggy makes an appearance you’ll have to come out to Haslett High School to watch our own HMS students perform ‘The Nifty Fifties’.