Haslett shooting threat leads to absences

Story: Spencer Hart and Tobi Harter

A shooting threat was made towards Haslett High School on March 2. The high school staff, along with parents and the Meridian Township Police department, were immediately notified.
Notiification came in an email sent out by Superintendent of Schools Steve Cook at 6:32 p.m. that parents should not worry. “Although we believe this is just a rumor, we take all threats seriously,” Cook wrote.
After long hours of waiting and ongoing investigations by the police, another email was sent out at 6:03 a.m. by the superintendent. “The students involved in the incident are being dealt with by the police and high school administration,” Cook wrote.
Even though this email stated the suspect was in custody, some students and their families were still afraid to go to school March 3.
“I didn’t feel safe because that hasn’t happened before, so I didn’t know how it was going to be handled,” junior Kristin Mikasa said.
Walking into the school on that Friday was different from other days. Students were greeted by two police officers stationed at the student parking lot doors, others roaming the hallway and one officer in the main office.
Even though the threat wasn’t deemed credible, officers were still at school, taking the threat seriously. Assistant Meridian Township Police Chief Ken Plaga said all threats must be taken seriously.
“In today’s day in age, you really can’t even in jest or just in passing make a comment about doing a harm to a school, because we have to take all of those serious,” Plaga said. Not much could be said due to the fact that it is still an ongoing investigation. “The case is still open and is still being investigated to make sure that we have all of the information,” Plaga said. In the days following, lots of rumours flooded the school about what had happened.
“Somebody was picking on him and he said he will be back for them on March 3,” senior Anthony Amoroso said he had heard.
Student’s piling more and more rumours, adding to the compelling fear the shooting might actually happen.
Because of previous terroristic acts and school shootings, making a terroristic threat or even joking about one has serious consequences. Michigan Legislature states, “Threatens to commit an act of terrorism and communicates the threat to any other person. A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 20 years or a fine of not more than $20,000 or both.”
“I think that if someone makes it threat that it should be taken seriously because you don’t know if they’re serious or not,” freshmen Noah Foster said.