GSA feels ups and downs of politics

Story: Anissa Kroll and Jackie Palmer

The Gay Straight Alliance has been a functioning club for about four years. In about 2013, now graduate George Davison was the president and the club thrived. But recent events has led to numbers dropping off.
Anywhere from 15 to 20 people currently come to club meetings. When Davidson was was president of GSA, so many people attended there weren’t enough seats for everyone.
“But that was in the midst of a rights movement, like right before gay marriage was legalized,” said senior Zach Whitlock, current co-president of GSA. “People were super into it.”
Whitlock said with the marriage ruling there are many who don’t think they need to fight for gay rights anymore. “And we’re over here like (there’s still) lots to fight for,” Whitlock said.
This year the club also lost its longtime adviser counselor Heather Woodworth. “When she left this fall they didn’t have anyone,” said civics teacher Kathleen Burns. “I taught some of the officers and they came and asked if I would be willing to host the GSA.”
But with the recent political uproar, the club is seeing an increase in attendance. With the recent presidential election, more and more people are becoming worried about what will become of the civil rights they have won over the years.
“We have set the foundation of what can become a great club and is a very safe space for a lot of people,” Whitlock said.
With the entire council made up of seniors, they are looking for juniors to replace them next year. “We haven’t really talked about how many people will lead or how many do,” said senior Sydney Pugmire, co-president. “We are hoping that a junior will step up and continue the legacy of the Gay Straight Alliance because we don’t want the club to die out.”