Haslett Lacrosse finishing strong

Story: Grant Rhodes and Ben Bird

The Haslett/Williamston boys lacrosse team has been proving critics wrong and performing at a high level. The team is currently 10-7 with key wins coming against South Lyon at the beginning of the season, and rival DeWitt which put the team in a chance for first place in the league.

One factor leading to the team’s success has been the addition of new coaches, Adam Zarotney and Kyle Borek. The two new coaches join head coach, Jake Murphy.

The team is currently seventh in the state and looking to continue on the path for success.

Coach Murphy is running the team for the second straight year following  the departure of coach Brent Taylor two years ago.  Zarotney, the offensive coordinator of the team, moved the Haslett/Williamston team from Waverly. Borek is in control on the offensive side of the ball.

When a team is full of young players and new head coaches, struggles can be expected. But junior Luke Bollman thinks it has been good for the team.

“It’s nice to have coaches that specialize in doing certain tasks,” he said. “They will have more experience in one area and we can just focus on that with the young group of guys we have.”

The team is filled with stat sheet stuffers like senior Cam Best and senior Logan Fenech from Williamston. They round out the top 10 for scoring leaders, as well as assists.

The team has been playing top notch and is currently second in the CAAC conference.  Fenech leads the conference in goals with an astonishing  51, while Best has scored 20. Best also rounds out the top three in assists with 24 on the year.

The team is dominant on both sides of the ball, but senior Austin Agrusa said the boys are stronger on the offensive side of things. “ We have a lot of good shooters and a lot of good players in general on that side of the field,” he said.

With the help of new coaches and the work of the players, the team has been performing at outstanding levels this season and will continue on its path to success, as the boys look to finish the season with some hardware.

“Our goal is to make a statement in our conference,” Agrusa said. “We have always been the little brother to Okemos. We want to make a statement that we’re here, we’re a good team and we can make it far in the playoffs.”