Halo 5: Guardians review

Story: Connor Frank, Staff Writer

In a classic “Most Dangerous Game” plot, the Master Chief evades the clutches of ONI and the Spartan-IV units in the upcoming Halo 5: Guardians. The newest teaser for the latest installment of the Halo Reclaimer series and second Halo game for 343 Industries went online recently and with the release date just days away, the hype has grown exponentially. What we do know for sure is that former ONI officer and new Spartan Lieutenant Commander Locke is leading a team to track down the Master Chief, who is officially dead. ONI believes John is triggering some form of creatures, possibly Forerunner creations, to attack human settlements. We also know from the gameplay teaser that Sierra 117 is being “called” to some quest by Forerunner beings. At an E6 gaming conference in 2014, a 343 Industries representative hinted at an encounter with the entirely unknown Precursor aliens. This is, however, only one of many possibilities. The gameplay will be run on an all-new graphics engine, one that is supposed to far exceed the highest capabilities of the Xbox 360, and perhaps rival the creative ingenuity of the previous Halo production crew, Bungie. Several new multiplayer modes have been noted, including a 12 on 12 “warzone” mode. A major departure from the flow of the previous Halo games was noted on many beta reviews, with the multiplayer experience moving closer to a Battlefield-esque style. Public reception is a key factor to the longevity and success of the game. Release date is Oct. 26. Check back here in the coming months for a video review of the game.