Tech crew plays big part in HHS musical

Story: Linsey Nichols, Staff Writer

Tech is a big part of the fall musical at Haslett High School. Even though tech crew are  not on stage, they are working just as hard as the actors and pit band.

Shannon McCloskey, junior at Haslett High School, runs the lights in the Haslett shows. McCloskey has run lights in two shows. This year her work has changed some because of  the auditorium updates that have been going on for the past couple years.

The auditorium has been updated with new tech equipment including the light board and sound board. McCloskey said learning the new tech isn’t very different from the old but, “the touch screen computer, I absolutely hate it because it doesn’t like me…everything is just in a different layout.”

McCloskey said “Beauty and the Beast” was her favorite show to work on. “I liked the way the set turned out with the storybooks. I loved the different platforms. That was fun to build.” McCloskey doesn’t have a least favorite show. “I like them all,” she said.

Her favorite part of tech is when the whole show comes together. “You can see all of your hard work,” she said. Jokingly she said, “everyday we barely get any work done.”

As it gets closer to the fall musical, the workload starts to get heavier. The tech crew gets busy around mid-October. “You have to stay way longer,” McCloskey said, “you have to build the sets.”

McCloskey will be running the lights in this year’s musical, “Honk! The Musical,”  to be performed at Haslett High School this November.