Loss of seniors chalenges team

Story: alyssa jackson, Staff Writer

Loss of good players on teams is never an easy transition and can affect the way the teams play for years to come. But with the talent of returning players and good coaches anything can happen.
The girls and boys varsity basketball teams are both feeling the heat from the loss of seniors from last season. The girls basketball team only has two seniors for the upcoming basketball season, Annisa Whims and Sydnee Dennis. With five juniors, two sophomores and two freshmen it will be a young team. “The young talent will definitely help with a quicker style of play this coming season” Dennis said.
The team is also getting use to the fact and adjusting to the thought of a new coach for the season. Although the girls practiced with him this summer, it will take some time to adjust to coach Ross Baker’s new style and coaching.
“I like him. The style will definitely be different on the offensive side.” Dennis said.
The departure of coach Bob Currier was a shock to the team as for years his team was known for having a good discipline on and off the court. Currier left coaching because he retired from his dental profession and was moving to Florida. Currier coached at Haslett for 14 years, seven of them as the varsity coach.
The varsity boys basketball also lost key players from last year, including Brandon Allen who now plays for Western Michigan University.
There are five seniors expected to play this season along with some juniors and sophomores. Having sophomores on the team hasn’t happened in the past couple years. “The season should be fun and interesting with the young group of boys and we should have some good energy on the court,” senior Evan Block said.
Block, who is expected to be a team leader, knows the squad can overcome the graduation of Allen.“The loss of Allen will definitely have somewhat of an impact,” he said. “But there is a lot of good talent and players.”
The boys are hoping to have a winning record and with the energy of the younger team expect a good year.
“We are out to prove the doubters wrong,” Block said