Testing days add stress after break

Story: Caitlin Gallegos, Staff Writer

With the dreaded SAT swiftly approaching, juniors scramble to make last minute preparations. This is the exam that could make or break a student’s future, so it adds an immense amount of stress on these students.
School staff places an emphasis on trying to make sure students are adequately prepared to take this nearly four hour exam.
“Staff and teachers have been preparing in classrooms,” guidance counselor Kelly Nicholson said.
“Mrs. (Samantha) Brunnschweiler and I went into English 11 and English 11 Honors classes and gave an overview of what to expect on the test. Teachers have been incorporating writing and reading type questions into their curriculum.”
Not only is this test week a stressful week for the administrators, but students have been preparing for while for this colossal moment.
“The practice SATs help, but other than that the only help I’ve gotten for the test itself is a handful of practice questions in select classes,”junior Logan Backus said.“The school has made sure that I know exactly what the SAT is and what I use it for. But most of my preparation for the actual test has been done outside of school.”
The new SAT test is broken down into four sections; reading, writing, math (with calculator), and math (with no calculator), taken in that order. There is also a 50-minute essay. The test is taken in three hours and 50 minutes, and is scored out of 1600 points.
The reason the SAT holds so much weight is because colleges looks a student’ scores as a way to see their knowledge aptitude and what they remember of all the they have learned thus far.
“For the test, be sure to get a good night’s sleep and eat a good breakfast. Do your best.” Nicholson said.