• February 13Talent show rescheduled due to weather issues

Detroit Lions’ postseason outlook

Story: Ben Bird, Editor

Standing at a 6-6 record on the season, the hope for the Lions to make the playoffs is slowly diminishing. Following a 44-20 loss to the 7-5 Baltimore Ravens last week, the Lions are now falling farther behind the 10-2 Minnesota Vikings in the fight for first in the NFC North division. Ravens’ quarterback Joe Flacco threw for 269 yards in the game on Sunday and was easily able to score on the Lions’ defense. With opponent’s offenses being able to run up the score against the Lions, with the New Orleans Saints scoring 52 points in Week 6, the coaching staff and players look for ways to improve their defense in the up and coming games. Lions’ QB Matthew Stafford is a key player to lead his team to the playoffs but has had issues with injuries in weeks prior, having to sit out with a wrist injury last week. Despite this, if he can remain healthy, Stafford has been shown to put up consistent stat lines in many games this season, throwing for nearly 300 yards prior to the injury in the game against Baltimore. Many fans believe that the coaching staff and management is to blame for the losses, but players believe that this is not the case. Following a practice earlier this week, Lions’ wide receiver Golden Tate and safety Glover Quin both praised the coaching staff and front office and put more weight on themselves and their fellow teammates to perform at a higher level. The Lions’ can only really hope for a Wild Card playoff spot, as the Vikings would have to lose all of the remaining regular-season games and the Lions would have to win out their remaining games as well as getting some help from other teams in the division to clinch the NFC North. Two of the remaining four games on the schedule are away games, but none of the four are against teams who are currently over .500 on the season. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are their first opponent on the road this Sunday, with QB Jameis Winston at the helm for the Bucs, they are looking to avenge last week’s loss in overtime to the Green Bay Packers. Next Saturday, the Lions face off against the Chicago Bears at home, with the Bears having their fair of struggles, only having three wins on the season thus far. On Christmas Eve, the Lions will play their second to last regular season game against the Cincinnati Bengals, who are currently 5-7 and out of the playoff race. The final game of the season comes down a home game against the fellow inner division rival, the Green Bay Packers. The Packers are currently 6-6 but without their starting star QB Aaron Rodgers who is out with a collarbone injury.