Winter sports preview

Photo: Tyler Goldberg

Story: Tate Virkus, Staff Writer

Hockey
Hockey tryouts for the Eastside Stars (Haslett, Williamston, East Lansing) team began Oct 30. To prepare for the season, the team held a plethora of pre-season workouts and skates throughout the summer. The toughest games the players are preparing for are Okemos, Jackson, and the combined Dewitt/St. Johns teams. The team has a fairly equal underclassman to upperclassman ratio. Key players are juniors Dennis Whitaker and Tate Virkus of Haslett and seniors Nathan Scott and Ben Heilman of Williamston.

Boys Basketball
Basketball tryouts began Nov. 13. After ending last year 13-9, the team is looking forward to a strong season, despite having a “really young team,” according to junior Sam Laczynski. Key players this season include senior Patrick Hintz and junior Mitchell Mowid. The team has spent “lots of time in the gym, shooting, and working out” in effort to prepare for its tougher matchups this season, especially looking towards Williamston and DeWitt, Laczynski said.

Gymnastics
The gymnastics team began hitting the mats Nov. 6. Sophomore Abbi Clark anxiously awaited the day, saying she and the predominantly young team prepared for the season by “preconditioning.” According to Clark, one especially key role on the team is held by senior Lydia Clarizo, who will be ready to lead the girls on. The team consists of girls from Haslett, Williamston and Bath.

Swimming and Diving
With swim season fast approaching, key players such as sophomore Ian Mcfarlane, junior Ben Brittain and senior Aaron Gilengerten prepare to lead the team. The swimmers were all anxious to get back in the water in November. The young team looks forward to conference and state competition, according to Brittain, who jumped into the swim season following a dominant year on the football field.

Girls Basketball
Tryouts for girls basketball were held Nov. 6. Junior impact player Ella Mckinney said she’s been “thinking about the season a lot and what the team needs to do to get off to a good start.” Other assets to the team include sophomores Imania Baker and Olivia Greene, as well as senior Teagan Woodworth. Mckinney said she and the team have been working out and shooting a lot, preparing themselves for the tougher games they’ll see this year such as DeWitt, East Lansing and Williamston.

Bowling
Bowling tryouts take place on Nov. 13, according to sophomore Ashlyn Tebedo. The very young team is “ looking forward to regionals because they decide if we go to states or not.” Key bowlers this season include, junior Delaney Andridge, sophomore Shannon Kaczmarczyk, and senior Matt Bidigaire. “I have been bowling quite a few times since bowling ended in March,” Tebedo said. “I’m in a league that bowls every Saturday morning until our first match.”

Wrestling
Wrestling practice began Nov. 13, according to junior Adrian Tran. A key wrestler this year is expected to be freshman Kaleb Corser, Tran said. He has been working hard to have a strong, inaugural season, especially in meets against Mason and St.Johns, as those are typically the team’s two biggest match-ups. To prepare for the season, the wrestlers have been getting in shape through conditioning and other workouts.