• February 13Talent show rescheduled due to weather issues

Coach change leaves team surprised

Story: Kayla Sebolt, Staff Writer

The varsity volleyball team had a large obstacle to overcome when the coach was suddenly replaced late in the season. On Oct. 20 then varsity coach Drew Dudley was no longer coaching the team.
Dudley faced a variety of controversies through the season. Players said her style didn’t fit in with how they wanted to be coached. Junior Harley Roe and senior Abby Boss both agree she’s a good person, they just didn’t agree with her coaching styles.
“After games we were already really hard on ourselves, so her saying she was disappointed in us was really crushing,” Roe said. “She’s a great person just too young to be coaching.”
The team had a meeting Oct. 19, where Dudley talked about the team’s issues as a whole.
“She told us what the team needed to do to improve,” Roe said. “None of us really saw it (a coaching change) coming.”
The day after the meeting, Dudley was no longer the team’s coach.
Principal Bart Wegenke has chosen not to comment on whether Dudley resigned or was terminated. The team had a tournament on the next day that was cancelled as a result of her departure.
JV coach Krysta Kramer stepped up and coached the girls through their last regular season match. The team went on to win districts, but ended up losing in regionals in a hard fought match against Lakewood.
“I loved the change. We never stopped fighting” senior Lilly Metcalf said.