Holiday Band Concert

Story: Maggi Regan, Staff Writer

The spirit of the holidays found its way into Haslett High School through percussion instruments and whip-crack on the snowy night of December 12. The Haslett bands’ performance filled the corners of the performing arts center with sounds of the season, playing pieces including “The Nutcracker,” “Salvation is Created,” “Sleigh Ride,” and “The Great Waldo Pepper March.”  During the chaos of the season band directors David Gott and Micheal Larsen had only 4 weeks to put the show together, with “The Nutcracker” being the main piece they focused on.

“I had a great time with the performance, I think we had some awesome moments,” said Gott.

Touching on how the complexity of the pieces puts stress on conductors Gott explained, “It’s all in the moment, so that’s always a little nerve racking, but it’s also a lot of fun.”

For some members in the band, the holiday show is a reminder that their music career here at Haslett is coming to a close. “Every year you see your seniors leave, and in a blink of an eye you’re the next on the list to go,”  senior Ayden Morton said. He has been waiting four years to slap the whip-crack during Sleigh Ride, a yearly tradition for seniors in percussion.

“It’s weird that it’s my last year doing this,” Morton said.

After spending so much time with a group that quickly becomes family, the reality is hitting seniors that it’ll soon be finished.

“Its bitter sweet. I’ve loved being in band, creating lifelong friends,” says senior Jake Teichman.

But for Mr.Gott, it has become routine to see kids he has watched grow up leave into the next chapter of their lives.

“Some of them we’ve known for 7 years, it’s such a pleasure to get to know kids that well,” Gott said.