Filed under News

Haslett students take part in nationwide walkout

Majority of the Haslett High School student body took part in a student led walk out March 14 to honor the victims of the Parkland High School shooting and Courtlin Arrington, a victim of gun violence at Huffman High School in Alabama.

Students had the choice to either leave class or stay in their classrooms at 10 a.m when the walkout took place.

Those who chose to attend made their way to Jamie Gent Field, the school’s football stadium, where activities commenced. The event was organized by seniors Jackie Duckett, Ridge Weston and Mikayla Zobeck, along with help and support from Haslett administrators and teachers.

Duckett, Weston and Zobeck took turns reading the names and descriptions of the victims, while another group of students held white balloons and released them as they read. The stadium was silent through the whole reading, with clapping from the student body occurring only after the final remarks from student organizers.

Weston estimates two thirds of the student body was in attendance, based on his view from the football field into the bleachers.

The temperature was around 30 degrees  with light flurries and sun peaking through clouds at times. Wind was around 10 to 15 miles per hour. Students were released from the event at 10:40 a.m.