Filed under News

Earth Science class makes astronomy trip to MSU

Earth Science is a course offered to juniors and seniors revolving around different aspects of geoscience. The class is taught by Heather Cox and is divided into two specific subjects for each semester, the first semester focusing on geology, and the second semester focusing on astronomy.

The astronomy class took its annual field trip to Michigan State University on May 8. The trip consisted of a night sky show at the MSU Planetarium, lunch at Shaw Hall cafeteria, and a lecture /tour at the MSU Chemistry building, where the FRIB ( brand new particle accelerator ) is currently being constructed and installed.

Cox uses the trip to the planetarium as a “constellation and planetary lab,” because the class obviously lacks the resources to take a trip to space, Cox believes the planetarium to be the “next best thing.”

The trip costs each student $12, covering the planetarium show and lunch on campus, and was made possible by several volunteer parent chaperones.

Senior Adam Hooper’s favorite part of the trip was touring the nuclear science labs.

“ It was cool to see what goes on inside of a real laboratory like that,” Hooper said. “They were dissecting mice brains and using expensive machines to measure the neurocognitive relationships between different parts of the brain, which was pretty cool.”

Think twice before you call Earth Science class boring, the astronomy field trip serves as a great way for students to learn in a more exciting fashion from real life nuclear physicists.