Filed under Features, Uncategorized

Band director gears up for future

Haslett High's David Gott begins real estate career along with continuing to teach

Normally, a student doesn’t think that a teacher with 20 years of in the classroom would go on to do anything else other than basksing in retirement. But sometimes, that’s exactly what happens.

Band director David Gott recently announced on Facebook that he has signed with Keller-Williams Realty to start a second career outside of music. One thing that does come as a surprise is that he announced this so suddenly.

“I was thinking about it over the last three years and figured it was time,” Gott said. “My kids are already in middle school and I know how quickly that can go by, so I wanted to do something else to start saving up to help pay for their college. I thought ‘what would go with my skill set’ and eventually settled on realty.”

Gott took  online classes over the last few months and then took a test to get his realty license. As for the correlation between being a band director and a realtor. Gott has some surprising comparisons.

“I think it will be similar to teaching and some of my current skills can carry over,” Gott said. “You have to listen to others and negotiate with them. I also hope I can run into some former students who will be buying their first house.”

Gott knows how difficult it can be to pay off college debt. He wants to be able to help his children during college, that way they won’t have that financial struggle after graduation.

He also wants to reassure any students who are worrying that he is not retiring or quitting being a teacher anytime soon. Gott wants to ease into his new career and is simply making plans for the future. He hopes to see a nice retirement after about 15 years of working in real estate.