Filed under Opinion

School safety improvements? Not so much

Coming up to the third month since the horrific school shooting in Parkland, Florida, Haslett High School graduate Andrew Winters was curious about any changes in school safety.

“Has the school changed in any way since these shootings happened?” Winters said.

When looking at Haslett schools alone, the only evident change is the addition of posters hung in hallways expressing that, “The only thing left for us to gain is our safety.” There was no protocol for the procedure if there were a gunman in our school as well as an evident lack of priority for addressing and solving these potential problems.

Schools took part in walkouts across the nation in memoriam for the innocent students killed in their classrooms, but the dedication for preventing these atrocities from happening in the future was scarce to follow.

Winters, a supporter for responsible gun use, was frightened at the lack of action taken by the administration to keep students safe. “The best way to fight a gunman is with a gun,” Winters said.

When schools across the nation took part in the walkout, many wondered how their school protocol ensured their safety. Or if it did at all.

Schools across America, for example, have security guards on grounds throughout the day. In more rural cities around the U.S., schools have implemented metal detectors and made carrying a backpack against school policy with the hope of catching suspicious activity early on or preventing it from happening in the first place.

School administration reactions, or lack thereof, from unpredictable dangers, make this ongoing problem very evident. It begs the question as to if these modifications make our schools any safer?