Filed under Features

Securing the building comes with a cost and annoyances.

Having a security system is a detriment to productivity

Every day senior Jennifer Tran arrives from the Wilson Talent Center at 10:40 a.m., if she’s lucky.

“I hate it. I have to park in the student parking lot and walk all the way around and get buzzed in,” she said. “I feel kinda attacked because they interrogate you to let you in,” she said.

It is fair to say Tran is annoyed with the new security process to enter the school after 8 a.m.

The process to be let into the school is tedious. The bell has to be pressed and one of the two secretaries has to answer the bell. The secretary then has to ID Tran person and ask for her reason for being here. Tran then shows a school ID or valid photo ID and states why she is trying to get in.

This process, initiated with the beginning of the school year, seems to be flawed “It takes a lot of time out of our work,” administrative assistant Amy Barcy said.

According to Barcy, during a one month survey of activity, it was recorded there were 85-120 answers of the bell each day and the bell rang every three to four minutes. These interruptions are the main issue.

“Consistent interruptions lead to inefficiencies, production and momentum loss and cause stress and fatigue,” Barcy said.

Principal Bart Wegenke is aware of this problem. “We’re in the process of figuring that out,” he said.

With that said, Wegenke said the system is a good new addition. “It’s an opportunity to secure the building, know who’s coming and going at all times and provides safety for everyone in this high school,” he said