New law changes nothing for the under-21 population

Back to Article
Back to Article

The legalization of marijuana has students wondering how it will affect their daily lives in school and out. While Michigan marijuana laws changed early this month, the substance isn’t expected to be sold commercially until early 2020.

But most agree the ease of access to the substance will not affect high school students.
“Because marijuana is already illegal for high school students, it shouldn’t affect the amount of kids who get in trouble during school,” P.E. teacher Philip Rutkowski said.

He does not expect the school board will add more rules to the student handbook. There is already a zero tolerance for marijuana usage.

“The school should not have to create or add more rules because it is already not allowed on school property,” Rutkowski said.

Senior Fiona Shine said the law change shouldn’t create more of an issue in school.

“It is a common misconception that because it’s legal for people 21 and older, that it’ll be illegal for minors just like alcohol which is not the case,” she said. “It shouldn’t be more of a problem in school, but it will be more present.”

“The school policy might not be completely changed but maybe will be more specific to the use or possession of marijuana on school property.”

Senior Kaleb Guarnaccia doesn’t expect the law change to affect students who already use marijuana.
”The laws changing won’t affect them or make them more stupid to bring it on school grounds,” he said. “The rules regarding marijuana most likely won’t change because the kids that use or bring it on school grounds won’t go forward.”

Principal Bart Wegenke said just because marijuana will be legal doesn’t mean usage will be allowed at school by any age.

“All the penalties for smoking or possession of marijuana still remain the same because it is a drug-free and smoke free zone,” he said. “I hope more students do not bring it in to school. The ease of access to obtain marijuana will increase out of school. However, I hope that our students don’t bring it on school property, because it’ll result in a suspension.”

Judge Tom Boyd led the Court to School session on Nov. 30 in the Performing Arts Center. One of the defendants was charged for marijuana possession. Boyd discussed his thoughts on passage of the marijuana proposal.

“(With) medicinal marijuana, we should let doctors decide what is and isn’t medicine,” Boyd said. “I think so many people voted for it because they see the world that we live in, petty drug theft could just be doctors or people that need it.”

Even though some students, teachers and administrators worry about the new laws, rules involving marijuana will not change at school.