Blanket ban causing headaches for students

Throughout the day, senior Olivia Sabec carries around heavy layers of clothing. She used to carry a blanket with her, on and off since freshman year. But now because of a recent rule banning all blankets from school, she opts for layers. “I heard the announcement,” Sabec said,“I was mad and confused.”
Sabec, who struggles with anemia, resort to wearing sweatshirts, sweatpants and a long fluffy coat. But that doesn’t mean she doesn’t understand the ban, especially after learning the reasons behind it.
“It’s not entirely unfair,” she said. “I heard about vape, then I understood.” Throughout the school, rooms are notorious for being cold, especially in the winter, but true for all seasons. Some rooms are colder than others, and French teacher Mlle Dykman’s room is no exception.
“Heating isn’t reliable. It’s either super cold or super hot,” Dykman said. “I chose super cold over hot because students can cover up.”
To counter students feeling cold, Dykman has about 10 blankets. Nonetheless, she wasn’t surprised when administration put in the blanket ban.
“I prefer having blankets, but I understand why this ban takes place,” Dykman said.
The day before the ban took place, teachers got an email about the ban. The next day over the announcements, students got notified that blankets were no longer allowed at school.
Associate principal Brandy Butcher has reasons behind the new rule“They (the blankets) can be distracting,” she said. “And “they can hide vapes.”
There was no specific incident behind the ban, just one day, a ban on blankets was put in place. Although the teachers and students got notified, parents did not.
“We didn’t think the blankets were a huge deal, so no email to parents was sent” Butcher said.