Students Express Their Opinions on Covid-19

Covid-19 has been in our lives for almost a year now, and healthcare professionals around the globe have been working tirelessly to provide a vaccine. It seems that our wishes have been granted and now there is a vaccine coming very soon. While we won’t be the first to receive it, we still thought it would be a good idea to ask some students about their opinions on it. 

One student, who chose to remain anonymous, expressed her concerns about the virus. “I believe it takes more than a year to make sure a vaccine is safe and effective, Covid is a year old and I know they just started working on the vaccine recently.” Her main concern is that the vaccine isn’t safe, and that until there are more tests run, she doesn’t want to consider getting it. When asked about her experiences with Covid, she says she just wants things to get back to how they were. I think we can all agree with that.

Now for the other point of view, someone who is willing to get the vaccine. Another anonymous student shared her opinions on how safe the vaccine is. “It’s not a new vaccine, it’s similar to the one we use for other vaccines, like the flu vaccine. They just build off of what they already know.” This anonymous student also said she is ready for things to return to normal and is awaiting the return of school. She says she will return to school when she knows things are safe. 

Finally, I got the chance to speak with our principal, Mrs. Butcher, on her plans for the rest of the school year. Butcher said masks would still be required, but the vaccine would not be, and that most of the decisions regarding the virus and when we return to school is up to The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Hybrid school is scheduled to begin February 8. About 65 percent of students are scheduled to be in one of the two groups for in-person learning, which is meant to allow for students to come back into the building in smaller groups for safety reasons.