More opportunities In School learning 

There’s no doubt that we should have a higher variety of school learning opportunities, and we need to really implement them in the schools.  

Schools tend to have the idea that “passing is more important than learning,” which is a pretty big problem these days.  Schools aren’t necessarily bad, but the curriculum is just executed poorly.  

School nowadays seem like a game where the one with the best score wins, and school is not supposed to be a competition.  

If students were able to choose all of their classes, that would pave the way for a greater work ethic and help them toward their own passions and goals.  Otherwise, you have a majority of students learning the same thing that doesn’t capture their attention or interest. 

For example: I originally wanted to take a finance course this year, but I found out I couldn’t take it until my junior or senior year.  My only option was to continue with geometry where I’ll be “memorizing” certain complex methods of measuring shapes that I forget about when summer arrives.  These skills are only helpful if I plan to pursue a career that requires this type of knowledge.  Unfortunately, math in general has never been a joy for me. It’s good to know the basic levels of math. However, if it doesn’t light a spark in the student, it should no longer be a requirement.  Pouring large amounts of time and unwanted effort into a subject is extremely unnecessary and depriving.  

I asked a few students the question “What are your thoughts on the USA’s education system, and what could they do better on?”  

Gabby Watrich, a sophomore at Haslett, said “I think it is a big responsibility to educate America’s students.  Like anything, there’s good parts and bad parts.  I’d like to see if schools across our country would do a better job of realizing student strengths and not just seeing kids as test scores.”  

Sophomore Jack Goebel said “I feel like it is overall pretty good, but I don’t think it allows for people to focus on their interests.  Plus, they overstress students with piled amounts of school work.” 

Desten Knox, a sophomore at Okemos High, said “I do not like the school system due to it not teaching skills you would actually use in the real world, like financial things. After Elementary it feels as if many things become irrelevant.”  

Many adults have claimed that the schools in the country are very substandard and don’t provide enough opportunities. In addition to talking to students, I interviewed my mom for a parent’s perspective. She shared her frustrations, which included her feeling that many schools are not properly equipped to teach children the way they learn. She mentioned a lot of children are swept under the rug, especially those with special needs.  She speaks from experience because my younger brother has autism spectrum disorder.  As a result of all the challenges, she is now homeschooling my three younger brothers. Lastly, she strongly disagrees with the core curriculum and the State Standardized Testing.  She doesn’t feel that this is an accurate depiction of a child’s capabilities.  For example: a child may score very low on a state test, but they may be earning A’s in all of their classes.

In all, I hope in the future schools will have a less limited curriculum and change the testing routine. All these flaws deserve to be pointed out, and schools need to feel less like a burden and more of a place that offers students to express their talents.